Why Am I a Christian?



I want to answer a very basic question today: “Why am I a Christian?”

First and foremost, it is not because I was raised to be a Christian. I admit I went to church when I was very young, but I stopped going when I was about ten. But even during the time that I went to church I didn’t think much, if any, about God. But when I finally became a Christian, it was not because I was forced. It was a choice.

When I was about five, I remember playing in my front yard. While I was playing, I felt a hand on my right shoulder. I turned around to see that no one was there, and the feeling of a hand on my shoulder was gone. I was left with a numbing feeling of security and love. Then, ten years later, after I became a Christian, I was thinking about that time I felt that hand on my shoulder and I felt it again in the exact same spot. It was a human hand pressing down. It was comforting, it made me feel secure, and it let me know I was loved. That hand on my shoulder said to me, “I am here.” That hand was a reassurance of God’s existence.

Before becoming a Christian, I was very angry all of the time and it was without reason. I kept trying to do things in life to make me feel complete. Nothing was working, and nothing ever would. I couldn’t find happiness in anything. But when I said to myself, “I am a Christian!” And when I was baptized and I said to my home church, “I believe in Jesus Christ!” I felt complete. To this day, I feel complete when my focus is directed towards God.

I am a Christian because my faith gives me hope for the future. When I die, this shell of a body will be left on Earth, but my spirit, my very essence, will ascend to Heaven to be greeted by God and his son, and I will have a new body. I will have a new heavenly body that shall not be torn nor broken. Heaven will be the place where love shall fill all the hearts of the people, joy shall never leave us, peace will surround us, and evil will never prevail against us. John 3:16 says, “For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him shall not perish, but have everlasting life.” That is where my hope comes from. For God so loved the world, and ever since I took my first steps into my home church on a Sunday morning I have felt his love, and his love it is a feeling of love like no other. And that feeling of being loved has not seized, and never will.

How do I know that God loves me? Take a look at what he did. He sent his son, Jesus, who came to earth through the Virgin Mary. Jesus taught man about the truth of God and what God’s will truly is; what his commandments truly are. Jesus spoke love: love thy neighbor, turn the other cheek. Jesus fed a multitude of 5,000 with a five loaves of bread, and two fish. He healed the blind, the sick, the lame, the deaf, he gave hope to the poor and stripped depression from the sad hearted. He even went to the cross willingly to die for the sins of man, that we may be forgiven by God just by believing in him; by believing that he is the Christ, the Messiah, who came to earth to save mankind.

So why am I a Christian? Because I have never felt so complete; I have never felt so free. Never have I felt so much love from something I cannot see. And just because I believe, I know that when I die, I will go to Heaven, where happiness will have no end.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Loneliness

Is Something Missing?